Adult Sunday School - Part 6 - The earth is shaken for a last time. - by P.K.Odendaal - August 2012.
Whilst we are busy with the destruction of the earth and the subsequent reconstruction and replenishment on many occasions, it will be prudent to take it to its final conclusion. What we know is that in most of these cases only the earth was shaken, but in the end of times, the heaven will be shaken as well as in:
Heb. 12:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
In previous parts I have already dwelt on the meaning of heaven as referring to the sky. Our conclusion is thus that on many of the occasions when the earth was destroyed it was done from inside itself as a sort of implosion, but in Revelation the skies will also be shaken, meaning that the whole earth will tumble as in:
Isa 24:20 The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.
This scripture says that the earth will not rise or be reconstructed again, so it must refer to the apocalypse. The reason why the earth reels around cannot be found in the earth itself as there is no short term force that can cause this, and it must therefore be from an external force, like a meteor - and there are many scriptures which can confirm this, but first we must do a short physics class.
There are smaller loose micro planets, comets, asteroids or meteors which float around the sun far outside the ambit of our furthest planet, Pluto. There are situated in what is known as the Kuyper Belt and the Van Oort Cloud. They are normally in equilibrium, but gravitational forces may upset this equilibrium and they may start to move towards the sun - the strongest force in our solar system. Their movement will be slow at first, but they will pick up speed as they near the gravitational fields of the planets and the sun, especially when the planets are lined up as happens now and then.
God has given us Jupiter as a shield against these objects, because Jupiter has the second largest gravitational force, second only to the sun. When these objects reach the gravitational field of Jupiter they are drawn into this planet like Shoemaker Levy, but some may pass this umbrella, being too fast and too big, especially when Jupiter is at the other end of its 12 year orbit around the sun.
This has happened at least once, according to a substantial scientific theory:
The most famous asteroid ever is the one that hit Earth 65 million years ago. It is thought that this asteroid threw so much moisture and dust into the atmosphere that it cut off sunlight, lowering temperatures worldwide and causing the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Although there are many possibilities, the way I read the bible, is that a comet will hit the earth off centre from the earth's vertical axis and towards one of the poles (off centre from the equator).
The following will be the effect of such an eventuality:
1. The material of the comet will be ice.
Every comet has frozen gases in the form of ice, and a comet hitting the earth will not be able to shed its ice by way of melting, as the heating in the earth's atmosphere will be too quick and the ice will just break up in big chunks. If you have ever taken super cooled ice blocks and held it under hot water, you would have noticed that it breaks into many smaller blocks.
Scripture says that hailstones the size of a talent will hit the earth:
Rev 16:21 And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent (about 30kg): and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.
Hails tones of this weight cannot be generated by earth's atmosphere.
2. The solid part of the comet will consist of iron oxides, which is red in colour, like Mars. The reddish hue is due to rusting iron minerals presumably formed a few billion years ago when Mars was warm and wet, but now that Mars is cold and dry, modern rusting may be due to a superoxide that forms on minerals exposed to ultraviolet rays in sunlight.
When this mixes with water is looks like blood.
Rev 8:8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
3. If the comet strikes the earth obliquely with reference to the vertical axis of the earth, it will speed up the rotation of the earth and the days will become shorter.
Mar 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.
4. If the comet strikes the earth obliquely with reference to the equator, it will start to reel to and fro, a phenomenon called precession.
Isa 24:20 The earth shall reel to and fro (wobble) like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.
In astronomy, axial precession is a gravity-induced, slow and continuous change in the orientation of an astronomical body's rotational axis. In particular, it refers to the gradual shift in the orientation of Earth's axis of rotation, which, like a wobbling top, traces out a pair of cones joined at their apices in a cycle of approximately 26,000 years.
This precession can increase in tempo to one circle per month or even day giving the impression of a wobbling top.
5. The heavens will be shaken. If the earth wobbles it will look like the heavens wobble, and it will seem that the heavens are shaken due to this reeling to and from of the earth due to its fast precession.
See Heb. 12:26 quoted above.
6. A comet has a tail which looks like a woman's hair. A comet is an icy small Solar System body that, when close enough to the Sun, displays a visible coma (a thin, fuzzy, temporary atmosphere) and sometimes also a tail.
Rev 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
Rev 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth
7. When a comet comes into contact with the earth's atmosphere, it breaks into pieces and these pieces will light up and look like multiple stars falling on earth.
Rev 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, v:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
There are many other similarities which I can quote, but this is not a scientific expose, and only a basic understanding of this event.
8. What we see after this is that a new earth and a new heaven is created, but the scripture in Isa 24:20, quoted above, says that the earth will not rise again. Beautiful! The earth rises when we are on another planet, and it is from one such a planet that we will see that it does not rise again, because it will have been totally destroyed. The term new heaven, refers to the sky as seen from this new planet. Such a sky will look different from the sky (stars) we see from earth.
It may be thought that earth may again be regenerated as God has done many times, but chances for this are very slim. Firstly - why would God let the new Jerusalem descend onto this earth, belonging to Satan? Secondly - why would God keep us on the earth which shed the blood of all the martyrs? An earth that has been cursed with the sin of mankind. I do not think this is a viable proposition.
If you read scripture closely you will see that the new earth will have no seas. Where will the seas of the earth disappear into, whilst we see that a third of the sea was red after the event.
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.